Birth Registration & Citizenship
- Sunday, 14 February 2016
REGISTERING OF A BIRTH AT THE EMBASSY OF SRI LANKA IN BRASILIA
- Births of Children born to a Sri Lankan parent/parents in Brazil, Peru, Chile, Suriname, Colombia or Argentina can be registered in this Embassy
- An application for registration of a birth must be made within 03 months of the birth.
(Download the application for "Birth Registration under Section 5:2 of Ceylon Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948" - Click here)
- If the application is made after 03 months, reasons for the delay should be given in writing when making the application.
(Download the application for "Declaration of Birth after three Months under Registration Application under Section 24" -Click here.)
- At least one parent (farther or mother) of the child should be a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of the child’s birth.
- A child’s birth may be registered in Sinhala/Tamil or English. Language of preference should be indicated in the application. However, to avoid future difficulties those may surface like in translations & certain immigration matters, applicants are encouraged to request birth certificates to be written in English language. If the Birth certificates are required in English, it is advised to fill the applications in English to avoid misspellings of details.
- The Sri Lankan parent (father or mother) of the child may make the application for registration of birth which should be made in duplicate.
- Original of the Birth Certificate issued by the competent authority in Brazil or accredited country and its English translation. Please note that both Father’s & mother’s names in the application should match the names in the child’s local birth certificate. (Both these documents must have been legalized by the consular division of the Ministry of External Relations of Brazil or the competent authority in other accredited country)
- Original of the Birth Certificate of Sri Lankan Farther\Mother (as applicable)
- If one parent is not Sri Lankan, his\her Brazilian or other accredited country’s original Birth Certificate and it’s English translation (Both these documents must have been legalized by the consular division of the Ministry of External Relations of Brazil or the competent authority in other accredited country)
- A Declaration to the effect that the applicant/s (Sri Lankan father/mother as applicable) has/have not acquired citizenship of a country other than Sri Lanka at the time of child's birth (Click here). It would be enough that one parent was a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of the Child’s birth.
- Original of the Citizenship Certificate of parent/s if he/she/they was/were born outside of Sri Lanka.
- Original of the Marriage Certificate of parents and its English translation. (Both these documents must have been legalized by the consular division of the Ministry of External Relations of Brazil or the competent authority in other accredited country).Please note that if the marriage has been registered outside of Sri Lanka it should be countersigned by the relevant diplomatic representative of the country concerned. If the marriage has been registered under Sri Lankan law in a Sri Lankan Embassy or in Sri Lanka, the original of such marriage certificate would be sufficient for this purpose.
- If parents are not married an affidavit must be submitted relating to paternity of the child (Mother`s and father’s names in the affidavit should match with child’s local Birth Certificate)
- A valid passport must be produced by the Sri Lankan party/parties. If a valid passport is not available, such party should apply for a new Sri Lankan passport and thereafter should apply for the birth registration.
- A valid visa must be produced in respect of the Sri Lankan parent/s
- National Identity Card of the Sri Lankan parent/s (If available)
- Birth Registration Application under Section 5:2 of Ceylon Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 (Click here)
- Declaration of Birth after three Months under Registration Application under Section 24 (Click here)
This is Applicable only for birth registrations after 03 months
- A letter of explanation from the applicant in respect of a late registration *
* All applications made after one year, will be forwarded to the Registrar General's Department, Central Record Room, Maligawatta, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka”, Tel : 00-94- 11 23 29 773,Fax : 00-94 -11 24 33 075 for approval. In such cases the Consular Birth Certificate will be issued only after the approval is received from the Registrar General's Department.
- Once the Citizenship Certificate is issued from the Department of Immigration & Emigration, a passport can be issued and thereafter a visa exemption is granted to the child until the age of 21 years.
- Once the originals of certificates/documents are sent to this Embassy for verification, the applicant should to arrange a passage with a courier company to pick up the certificates/documents at this Embassy & return them to him.
Including additional particulars to the Birth Certificate
If the applicant wishes to include additional information to the original birth certificate before its issuance He/She should complete the "Declaration of Birth under Section 16" - Click here.
OBTAINING A COPY OF A BIRTH REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE FROM THE EMBASSY OF SRI LANKA IN BRASILIA
- Duly completed application form Application for Birth Certificate And / Or Search of Registers” (Click here)
- Passport of the applicant, supported by marriage, birth certificate (Originals are required) to establish direct connection to the person listed in the Birth Certificate.
- Applications will be perused upon receipt and thereafter applicants will be informed to make payments with information of the method of payment. All the originals of certificates/documents will be returned to the applicant. Applicant should arrange a passage with a courier company to pick up the documents at this Embassy & return them over to him/her or pay the applicable return courier charge at the time of making the payment.
- If the Child’s birth has not been registered in this Embassy for some reason while parents were living outside of Sri Lanka or if it is more convenient for the applicant to submit the application in Sri Lanka, applicants have the option of handing over the completed application set directly to the Registrar General's Department, Central Record Room, Maligawatta, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka (Tel : 00-94- 11 23 29 773,Fax : 00-94 -11 24 33 075) directly, without applying through this Embassy.
- Please note that this embassy does not facilitate applications to obtain Birth Certificates directly from Sri Lanka. Such applications must be forwarded directly to the respective Divisional Secretariat by a representative of the applicant in Sri Lanka and thereafter obtain the authentication of the “Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sri Lanka” before submitting to this Embassy for legalization*.
* Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is currently located at 3rd Floor, No. 14, Sir Baron Jayathilake Mw, Colombo 01.
- When a child is born abroad to a citizen of Sri Lanka (i.e. either the farther or mother or both parties is/are Sri Lankan), there is an additional requirement under the Citizenship Act that such birth should also be registered within one year at the office of the diplomatic representation of Sri Lanka in the country of birth or at the “Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, “Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Baththramulla”.
- Therefore, when an application is made to this Embassy for the registration of an overseas birth under the Births and Deaths Registration Ordinance, an application for the registration of the child under the Citizenship Act should also be made.
- A Citizenship Certificate for a child born to a Sri Lankan parent/s outside of Sri Lanka will be issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, “Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Baththramulla (Telephone: +94 11 53 29 240 , Fax: +94 11 53 29 241, E-Mail: , Web Site: www.immigration.gov.lk ) .
- This Embassy will forward all applications to the Citizenship Division which will process them and send over the Citizenship Certificates. Once this Embassy has received the Citizenship Certificate, it will be sent to the applicant along with the Consular Birth Certificate issued by the Embassy.
Less than 03 months
Free of charge
Free of charge
03 to 12 months
6.00 per month
20.00 per month
More than 01 year*
10.00 per year
35.00 per year
Copy of Birth Registration Certificate